Monday, November 16, 2009

Grandma's Sewing Room

"What a name for a business!" I've heard that a few times when I've given my business name. Old fashioned, I know but I have great memories from my Grandma's sewing room. I have 2 grandmothers that were proficient seamstresses. Some of their sewing was of necessity, but they had a love for it that was seen in the things they used fabric for.

My grandma Edythe, died just before I turned 5. I'm the only one of the grandchildren with memories of her. I would walk across our small town each day after she was confined to bed with cancer. We would go through the magazine she had by her bed and I would pick my favorite picture. She then helped me cut it out and we'd glue it in a 'book'. I heard about things she made. I cherish a small white porcelain goose pin cushion and the sewing chair that were hers.

My grandma Elizabeth was a prolific seamstress and had a definite artistic flair. I have wonderful memories of her sewing long flannel nightgowns for each granddaughter every winter--and of course, pajamas for the grandsons. She made wonderful costumes, pep club uniforms, formals, winter coats--anything with fabric. Many times she would lay fabric on the bed in the room connected to her small sewing room. I was to stand still in the middle of the room. On her command, I would raise my arm, put it down, turn around for as long as she needed. She would then turn and begin cutting--many times with no pattern--to make clothes that FILLED my closet. I was just daring enough that I would wear about anything she made. During the late '60's I had the first 'granny' dress in town and the first maxi coat. When there was a new style to her liking, I got an outfit!

When my sewing business began, I thought I'd be sewing mostly baby things. Now that I'm a grandma to 7 of the most wonderful children you'd ever meet, Grandma's Sewing Room seemed an appropriate name. I hoped my grandchildren would have wonderful memories of my sewing room. But my business soon exploded in directions I hadn't dreamed. I do custom machine embroidery and all kinds of sewing: Home Dec, wedding, childrens, alterations and even some mending once in a while! Probably the largest, most unusual thing I've made is an organ and bench cover for our church. Since there was no pattern that had to be designed first!

Through the years I've sewn for all of my immediate family: pajamas, shirts, dresses, costumes, formals. Long ago, I even made a sports coat for my husband! Many of those things I've wished I'd have kept, but life was busy and the house seemed too small to keep all those things, so they are long gone.

I've taught sewing in the Christian school where I taught for 15 years. I taught K4 but during rest time a teacher's aid would stay with the children while they rested and I taught sewing to high school students. I loved it.

I will endeavor to use this blog as a way to show some of the things I am currently working on. As I begin, I will post pictures of some of the things I've made in the past. You can see many--but not all-of these things on my current website: www.grandmassewing.com. Most of the things I do are custom, so if you have an idea for something you'd like, send me an email and I'll be glad to consider it.

Please do come back and visit again. I'm still 'learning the ropes' of blogging, so please have patience. I hope to hear from you!

Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment