Friday, December 11, 2009

Something for Auntie Bev


What fun these hand towels were to do!  I was fortunate to have a large family of Aunts & Uncles that loved me dearly and spoiled me--almost rotten!  Auntie Bev was my dad's baby sister--his only sister.  She always had everything perfect and had just the perfect touch to add to a room or gift she'd brought.  Mom told me I was born when she was in the 8th grade and she loved me dearly.  On her Sr. trip rather than buying a souvenier for herself she brought home something for me!

She and Uncle Donnie always gave just the right present for birthdays & Christmas. My favorite had to have been the white soft, bulky knit sweaters I got for Christmas.  I felt like a princess wearing them!  They had no children until I was finishing the 8th grade.  What a delight for them to have Nancy and quickly thereafter, David came along.  I was fortunate to be able to go and 'help' for a week after their children were born.  My 'payment' was a paisley soft side suitcase!  40 years later, I still have it! Today it's filled with the first blankets & special outfits from my  4 children.

In her 40's, Auntie Bev was diagnosed with chronic progressive multiple sclerosis.  Even that difficulty didn't slow her down.  She got a scooter when she could no longer walk & worked in the continuing education dept. of her town's school.  Now, though, Uncle Donnie is gone and she needs significant care.  She has her own apartment, but has several care givers that come to help with her various needs.  She asked if I could make some towels to go with their Christmas/New Year bonus.  I was so thankful she asked!  I laughed through the making of them thinking of how she would take on over each one.  I could hear her voice--in my mind--saying "Hand over the chocolate--and no one gets hurt."


I loved  doing these for her and already have it on my caledar to do some more in the spring!  I am so very thankful that God ordered my life in such a way that she was a great part of it. When I read Proverbs 17:22 "A merry heart doeth good like a medicine; but a broken spirit drieth the bones." I think of her example of a merry heart and am so thankful I've had it to have it to enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marci! So glad you joined the blogging world.:) I've always loved your towels. Whenever I put one out that you gave me I think of you. They are so fun and meaningful. Thanks for all your encouragement, too, along this new journey for me and Q. We appreciate you and your prayers. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You found it! I wasn't going to send a link until I'd gotten a bit further along. Thanks, much for your kind words! I've needed to re-do my web site and this seemed like a better way to do it. I can do it without bothering Doug. You can see I've done more sewing than posting. Hopefully, I'll get in a good routine and be more diligent about it. Was thrilled to hear of the confirmation vote on Sunday--pure delight! "Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart." Psalm 37:4

    ReplyDelete